Programming Problem Solving Handbook
Programming Problem = A problem that is solved by writing/modifying a program and executing it
Scaffolding for novices
- Solving programming problems
- Audience - Novices, such as:
- Computer Science major
- End-user programmers (like a computational scientist or journalist)
- Coding bootcamp students
- Most common mistakes
- Programming by debugging / Programming by coincidence / Garage programming
- Copy-paste programming
- Possible to perform Freestyle Programming with Timeout before applying the model
Prerequisite - Tactic Knowledge
- Computer competencies
- Proficiency in the programming language
- Notional Machines
- Code Phonology - How does code sound?
The model is an adaption for programming of the four principles of problem solving from Pólya's Book How to Solve It:
- First, you have to understand the problem.
- After understanding, make a plan.
- Carry out the plan.
- Look back on your work. How could it be better?
All rights reserved.